Keeping Families Together
Although we successfully unite thousands of animals with new families each year, our goal is always to keep pets in loving homes that they may have already found. Ellie’s Pet Pantry supplies members of our local community with food for hungry pets, assisting families that have fallen on hard times and are struggling to keep their families intact. The program’s namesake is Ellie, a courageous Black Lab mix, who was surrendered at a shelter in West Virginia because she suffered from a seizure disorder. Ellie was adopted by a Pittsburgh attorney on a farm, where she was loved by her human and rescued equine friends.
To Receive Food
If you can’t afford to feed your pet and need assistance, Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh may be able to help. Ellie’s Pet Pantry helps individual pet owners who need temporary relief in the form of food for their companion animals.
Contact Ellie’s Team
Please reach out to our support team to learn more, get help, or to sign up for the next food pickup. 412.345.7300 x290
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Your pets must be spayed/neutered (We can help with this! Ask about free spay/neuter programs.)
- Your pets are kept inside of the home and must be maintained in healthy living conditions.
How it Works:
- Put the last Wednesday of the month on your calendar! (*Dates subject to change based on resource/staff availability and major holidays.)
- Call us at 412.345.7300 x290 with any questions
- Pick up food at your assigned time and location
- We are generally unable to provide food outside the monthly pickup times, so it’s important be there at your assigned time. Otherwise you may have to wait until the following month.
The Fine Print:
- You are not permitted to adopt from the shelter or obtain a pet from another source while receiving assistance from Ellie’s Pet Pantry. Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh has the right to terminate assistance if you obtain another pet at any time.
- Ellie’s food and supplies are donated and may not be the current brand or type you are feeding your pets. While we try to accommodate special requests, it may not always be possible. Please note: a change in your pet’s food may cause intestinal discomfort for your pet.
- You may not resell, distribute, or attempt to return to a store for cash any of the items received from Ellie’s Pet Pantry.
- Any violations of any of the above eligibility requirements may result in Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh terminating assistance immediately and without notice.
Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh – North Location
1101 Western Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
Accessible by car and by bus (Route 18)
Food distribution is typically the last Wednesday of the month, 9 – 11 a.m.
Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh – East Location
6926 Hamilton Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15208
Accessible by car and by bus (Route 71D)
Food distribution is typically the last Wednesday of the month, 10 – 11 a.m.
To Offer Your Help
Donations to Ellie’s Pet Pantry are urgently needed. As families struggle with the loss of jobs and other sources of income, your help can make an enormous difference by sparing children, parents, and family pets the heartache of separation. Additionally, keeping animals in their homes and out of a shelter avoids putting additional stress on our limited resources. If you can offer assistance, please deliver donations of canned or dry pet food to our East Side or North Side facilities. We welcome donations for household animals of any species, including rabbits, ferrets, birds, hamsters, and guinea pigs. If you would like to support the program, please make a secure donation on-line, or mail a check made payable to Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh. Just write “Ellie’s Pet Pantry” on the Memo line. Thank you for your support!
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP
Interested in more content like this? Subscribe & follow us to stay up-to-date.