Term: 1 Year Commitment – Up to 3 Years Encouraged
The Junior Advisory Council (JAC) of Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh (HARP) is comprised of a diverse group of young emerging leaders committed to advancing HARP’s mission to enhance the lives of companion animals and native wildlife. The mission of the JAC is to raise awareness of HARP through volunteer and fundraising events within our communities, as well as to build personal and professional networks.
Being a Member of the JAC has many benefits. You will have the opportunity to act as an Ambassador on behalf of HARP, the largest animal welfare organization in Western Pennsylvania. You will gain team building and leadership experience working with other like-minded individuals on the JAC as well as dedicated staff and HARP Board members.
Other benefits include:
- Gaining personal and professional relationships with other members of the JAC
- Having a role in the operations of one of the most successful nonprofits in the region
- Volunteer your time, talent and treasure
- Developing the professional skills necessary for future non-profit Board service opportunities
– Meeting 2021 Contribution Levels:
- Attend 5 of the 6 annual JAC meetings (meetings are held every other month at the HARP East End location; meetings will be virtual until safe to meet in person)
- Serve on at least one event committee
- Provide a $1,000 annual financial contribution; financial contribution can be attained through a combination of “give or get”
- Volunteer at least 20 hours per year across various JAC and HARP activities including attending JAC committee meetings
- Note: In future, non-COVID years the volunteer hour contribution target will be 40 Hours per year
– Willingness to leverage personal and professional networks for:
- Event planning and attendance
- Social media exposure (i.e. sharing JAC and HARP events to your social media platforms)
- General fundraising
- Willing to serve at least one, one-year term commencing on July 1st and ending on June 30th of the following calendar year
- Note: While the minimum term to be served is one year, you can renew your term up to two times, for a total of a three year term, without re-applying for the JAC. It is encouraged to serve a three year term if possible.
Preferred qualifications of a JAC member:
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 40, residing in Western Pennsylvania. Please note that JAC and HARP events will primarily be held in the greater Pittsburgh area and it is recommended you live within reasonable driving distance.
- Demonstrated passion for animals and the HARP mission and vision.
- Ability to network in the community, ask for contributions and engage members of the community
- Demonstrated nonprofit experience with charitable events, fundraising or event coordination
- Recognition within professional, community or nonprofit field preferred
The JAC will be led by a HARP Board Member with staff support. This application is open to the general public to encourage all who are interested in joining the JAC to apply. If you wish to develop your skills and expand your personal and professional networks while being involved with an outstanding organization focused on animal care, apply by April 19, 2021. Applicant interviews and member selection will occur during the second half of April 2021. If you have any questions regarding the JAC or the application process, contact Jess Yaukey (JAC Chair) at email@example.com or Kelly Wummer (JAC Vice-Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.